EagleRider’s Route 66 Self Drive Motorcycle Tour is a 15 day journey riding along the world famous “Mother Road” highway. You begin your tour in Chicago, IL and ride for 2400 exciting miles to Los Angeles, CA. Along the way you will pass through 8 states: Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, making stops in some of the most beautiful and historic American cities. You will get a definite sense of the 1950’s Midwest as you ride your Harley into the Ozark Mountains, along the Old West’s Indian country in Oklahoma, across the Great Plains, through the 400 year old city Santa Fe, NM, and into Nevada gambling Mecca, Laughlin. By the time you make it back to Los Angeles you will have toured the best of the “Mainstream of America”, Route 66!
An amazing adventure!
2.440 miles, 9 states, 2 weeks, 2 Indian Chiefs: a perfect cocktail for adventure. It was simply unforgettable and very well organised by EagleRider.
The daily reports are on our 'Route 66 - Anam Cara tour' Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/route66anamcara): the pictures and videos simply say it all.
it was truly a 'trip of a lifetime'!
Two of us rented two HD Fat boys for an 'old school' style Route 66 self guided tour from Chicago to LA – starting June 7th 2014. We were not disappointed as Eagle Riders were extremely helpful through both the planning and tour itself! We got the bikes we booked, and Peter Hayes in particular made it a very easy for us to discuss, plan and then ride the trip.
We rented a GPS and in combination with the excellent book 'Route 66: EZ 66 Guide for Travellers', we had an absolute blast. Discovered many original parts of the 'Mother Road' as well enjoying every day.
The hotels were good (if a little out of town at times) and everything went to plan.
If you are going to visit Seligman, recommend you go early to enjoy meeting Angel (if you are lucky) and savour the lovely quiet atmosphere of this mid Western town before the many tour buses start arriving shortly after 9.30 am.
If you are going to do a self guided Route 66 trip, we'd highly recommend you:
* Buy a copy of the Route 66: EZ66 Guide for Travelors' (Amazon). You'll see so much more and the route maps are really useful to find stuff you wouldn't normally see.
* Don't assume you won't get wet - pack some waterproofs!
* leave early each day to get the bulk of the miles under your belt without rushing so you can enjoy the whole day.
* Make sure you have a full tank of gas at the start of every day and keep it topped up. Gas stations are reasonably plentiful but you could get caught out nearer LA when you get into such as the Mohave desert. Whilst a magical place to ride through, it's not somewhere you'd want to run out of gas!!
* If you plan to visit the Grand Canyon, suggest you ride to it from Williams rather than take the train. The train is fine if that's what you want to do, but the Canyon is only 54 miles from Williams on one road! As the train ride is nearly 3 hours each way, you'll save at least 4 hours, and can arrive/leave the Canyon when you want. Getting back to Will